Wednesday, February 3, 2021

A memory

 Its 1998 and my mother is finally moving us to the new house.

A month earlier she had taken all on a tour to the new place with her then boyfriend who she said helped her furnish the house.

At the time, I didn't understand why he didn't just buy it for her; but also at the time I did not know a lot about men. 

So we look around it is delightful, a four bedroom flat in a block of flats with two doors with no fence vs our old house that was a ground flat in fenced in concrete compound that contributed too much to the scars on my siblings knees from rough play.

Anyway you flipped it, it was an upgrade.

The first night we move in, my cousins ( my late aunt's children), move with us, it is the most delightful sleep over. My cousins are younger and my sister and I teach them all the songs we used to sing in QC during night prep. My sister teaches them some dance steps.

At the time we moved in my mother could not afford bed frames or curtains, so the mattresses are on the floor and mismatched wrappers serve as curtains.

But all of those are minor details. The house felt like heaven. At the old house the people who lived in the next compound could have as well been ghosts because we never saw them, and everytime our ball flew into that compound, we dreaded going to knock for it because the only sounds we ever heard from there was the father of the house beating his kids. One of the girls was named joke.

Anyway almost as if God wanted to restore all the years the canker worm had eaten, we had seven neighbors ( because the block had 8 flats), and one of the families was from northern africa. 

Ahmed Hadiza  Yahaya & Faiza ( who died from a brief illness), all of whom became best friends with each of my siblings.

I loved living in that estate, because even though the  1998 me didn't know it at the time- It was the best of times.

Better times are always ahead, but the memories of the first night in the new house my mother bought shared with my cousins will always be one I cherish. 

Offcourse Nepa took light- but that only made it more fun. 

Because when you have all the people you love around you, Nepa taking light is infinitesimal in the grand scheme of things.

Even the me of 1998 knows this.


1 comment:

mizchif said...

Glee!
That is what i felt reading this.
I can see this book already and i am so proud!

H is for what? H is for HOLIDAY

 In the most random stroke of luck ( which is very on brand for me because I am the luckiest girl in the world); Im going on holiday! Which ...