Saturday, April 30, 2016

The comfort of Old friends

Last night I walked to my office car park to get a cab home AND I heard someone call my name.

Turned out to be my friend/ neighbor/ sisters ex boyfriend/ confirmation partner from way back.

So I'm excited you know. I tell him about my sisters upcoming nuptials. He feign's being upset. We laugh about it.
And he says what are you doing where are you going?

So I'm like I'm going to meet my sister at the mall and see a movie and he is like no don't get a cab, I'll drop you BUT drinks first?

I'm like hmnnnnn. Okay.

So we head out.

And I just realized how easy it is to speak to someone who has known you forever. Without guile. With no pretense like they know what you are going through and he is like are you okay? 

And I'm like nah. And he said you are still mad about XYZ? And I'm like livid. And I'm not even crying you know?

I'm just talking about why I'm upset. How the whole thing is playing out. And he gets it.  He really does.

And it's such a relief. Like no walking around on egg shells. We talk about probably solutions. We arrive at none.

But it's good to just talk you know?

He teases me non stop about all the weight I'm loosing. It's too much. You'll never be fat. 

He turns to his friends who went to drinks with us- I've known her over 15 years and she has never been fat.

She is crazy.
And in that solitary moment I'm thankful.

Like really grateful.

That I can go out and have drinks and grilled fish with this man that isn't trying to stick his penis in my vagina.

I am elated. 

My sister calls and I tell her, we are still here. I won't be coming because we just ordered Asun. ( it was bland) but the company more than made up for it.

In the car his princess calls. 
His face lights up! 

And he asks her- have you eaten?

Obviously I'm mute( because I'm not about to have him undergo the Spanish Inquisition of why there is a woman in his car)  but if I could I would have combusted from the emotion of being so cared for. 

And I wasn't even the one he asked if she had eaten.

#sidebar I currently have a love hate relationship with food Right now so it might not be the right question to ask me.

And as we sat and chatted and listened to music from my iPod.
It felt like everything was going to be okay. 

For the first time in a long time. 
He also said that it might not be such a bad idea to be flexible. Being rigid about the process is not all that.

There are so many ways to get what you want, he said. 

And I know right you you think it can't work, but I have never lied to you, and I won't start now, but you have done more  that enough to prove yourself.

And if I could have burst I would. this the healthiest amount of platonic love I had felt in ages.

Not Everytime freaky little flirt.
Sometimes honest heart to heart conversations with men who have known you forever and believe that you can do it. 

So C.

For last night. Thank you AND see you at the wedding! 😘

Ps- YC's omo Alhaji has me twerking all around like a stripper in KOD! I love it. 

No comments:

Life Lately featuring The Alchemist

 I did a re-read of the alchemist and I was reminded why that is probably my best book in the whole wide world. Every time I read that book,...