Monday, January 23, 2023

Election Szn and why I'm voting Peter Obi

 It doesn't feel very election-y for one there is limited campaign activity. usually the 2/3 months leading to elections in Nigeria sees the air charged with some fervor, either from the candidates themselves or their youth supporters. Hosting debates or penning feverish articles in support of their candidates.

Instead there is an unsettling but very fragile calm. Only one candidate seems to be campaigning aggressively and thinking about the demographic to which I belong- aka young people, and that is Mr Peter Gregory Obi.

In case you don't know anything about me, you should know that I am passionate about education, I think it is the best way to change the course of a family's life. So when I heard that PO who had worked magic in the Anambra educational system had thrown in his hat to be president, I said "TELL ME MORE"

But he also happens to be the healthiest and most coherent candidate contesting for president.

The Yoruba one is sick, and anyone that tells you otherwise, wants to rule from the shadows a la Yaradua.

The Northern one has 31. THIRTY ONE CHILDREN. I don't even think Nigeria has 31 parastatals for him to share amongst all his children like is customary among Nigerian's in leadership.

Finally, it is time to Zone the presidency to the south east. And I let me tell you how serious Zoning is to Nigerian politicians, it is so serious that they encoded it into PDP's constitution. Section 7(2)(c) of the party’s constitution says: “… In pursuance of the principle of equity, justice and fairness, the party shall adhere to the policy of rotation and zoning of party and public elective offices.” 

Its a shame the party members do not even honor what they have put in the constitution.

Finally, I'm genuinely tired of business as usual in Nigeria, Let me list all the current issues that we are currently experiencing:

Fuel scarcity

Police brutality

Kids out of school

Insecurity

Electricity

ASUU strikes

Violence against women and girls

Poverty

Unemployment

Mass migration

Division

Injustice

and to  think that a candidate is saying that, I want to build on existing infrastructure of the current government.


Finally, to all the people who say Anambra is no Lagos and that PO may be unable to replicate the success he achieved there in Nigeria, all I have to say to you is that neither is Lagos.


No comments:

H is for what? H is for HOLIDAY

 In the most random stroke of luck ( which is very on brand for me because I am the luckiest girl in the world); Im going on holiday! Which ...